Mar 21, 2010

Is Life that Precious?!



From a balcony on the fourth floor in one of the sea-side resorts, I stood watching the sun sinking in the sea which then looked like a huge monster swallowing its prey; its high raging waves seemed very wild, thundering against the rocky shore. Darkness descended apace leaving no trace of heavenly light. Meanwhile, a shiver ran through me as the cold wind howled around.

"Is life that precious?" after a long period of silence, I asked her with a somber voice looking out at the dark expanse of sea.
"I guess so!" replied my cousin after a little while, shrugging her shoulders.

Certainly, I knew the answer to this very question is "yes" but after what happened in Gaza Strip, I thought, the answer became "no". I recalled the calamity of Palestinians; under such malicious Israeli occupation, they are condemned to permanently live in misery and poverty. Their houses are demolished; their families killed; their desperate cries never heard. Nothing remains but ruins under which their lost hopes were buried. What is more pathetic is the sight of the Palestinians children, dead and alive; smiles faded away from their faces; pain was engraved on their features; agony is a part of their life; death chases them everywhere; taste of blood is always there. The horror they had witnessed very early in their lives must have left wounds that will never heal.

Reaching this point, I felt a lump in my throat. My eyes had been full of tears for what afflicted them, tears of bitterness and frustration for my helplessness. Where is the preciousness of life under such adverse circumstances, I wonder?! Every human right is violated.

But this is just one side of the coin. There are others who live in peace but smoke, drink, gamble, tyrannize, lie, cheat, steal, indulge in forbidden pleasures....etc forgetting or rather turning a blind eye to the teachings of their faith; they have become way far from morals and from God. Such people as well as Palestinians are bound together by one thing: the loss of life; but the latter have nothing to do with it since they are pathetically killed during mass-terror raids launched by a bestial enemy, who does not have an atom of mercy, claiming the anguished lives of hundreds of them.

In contrast, the others lose their lives voluntarily while alive submerging themselves in a hell of corruption. What if they die right now? Have they ever prepared for that very day? Are they ready to meet God with all these sins they committed? It is worthy of note that however long it is, life is always transient as mortality is one of its features. Still, such sinners have a chance; it is always waiting for them but they are not aware. They can do their utmost to redeem themselves, step out of the darkness, get closer to God, and restrain their unbridled carnal desires. It is a fact that Man is not infallible, but at least with strong faith and determination, he is able to overcome human frailties and resist devilish whisperings.

Life is an expensive beautiful jewel; wicked deeds spoil it and cause its rapid decay, which eventually culminates in losing its preciousness. Make the best use of your life before it is too late. Never let it lose its value as long as you are alive.

"Wouldn't you drink your tea?" My cousin interrupted my thought. "It'll get cold."
"Sure, sweetie!" I said with a smile forced on my face as I looked at her. I picked up the mug of tea. It was still hot, to my surprise! Then, I leaned back in my chair and my thoughts ran riot, again.

By Noha Fathi

5 comments:

  1. Thiz is immensely touching; very profound and well-conveyed Masha-allah.

    You're a very competent writer and the message you intended to deliver got through with clarity on top.

    Eye opening and forces shut minds to dawn and grow more comprehnsive of the events occuring.

    This is an honor, i am really glad that i've had the chance to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you soo much .... i am glad u liked it :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for honoring us by allowing us to share your thoughts - such a vivid contrast between the horrors you were contemplating and the beauty of your expression thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jeee it's a great honor to have such a comment on my humble article from an experienced, talented writer like u .... thanx a lot ... i'm
    really grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is commonly judged by "success" at getting one's name out there, on the basis of sales or profits. I look at writing in terms of how accurately, on an asymptotic basis, it gets close to the truth that was written by Allah on our hearts. By this standard, you are a wonderful writer, and that is a fact needing no gratitude in response, since it is simply a fact.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...